Debbie (my newfound masseuse and personal pain guru) told me I'd need to ice tonight and treat myself as though I had an intense workout. Massage = Workout- Now that sounds pretty good, but trust me, it's most definitely a workout! Don't let the relaxing Yanni music or aromatic essential oils fool you...my body is hurting! Despite all my complaining, I've already made an appointment to see her again in 2 weeks. After all the pain comes the glorious release of all that tight tension in my muscles. Plus, she kept calling me an athlete- I like the sound of that ;)
If I haven't convinced any of you out there yet that A) you should go get a massage and B) do it on a regular basis, here's some more info on why it's so important!
- Loosens muscles, elevates pain, and increases mobility – all significant benefits for an athlete
- Stimulates circulation and increases blood flow
- Breaks up scar tissue and thereby restores normal movement to muscles
- Improves posture, especially for those who sit at a desk all day
- Sufferers of chronic pain, fibromyalgia, edema, muscle cramping, and even carpal tunnel syndrome may find significant relief!